I’m so proud of the work I did on Henson Pictures and Randy Zuckerberg’s new series, Dot. I hope you can take a look at this fantastic show for pre-schoolers on Sprout! Common Sense Media gave this show it’s highest honor, A Family Seal.
Thank you so much for your interest in our work to help children safely and productively navigate the digital world in which we all increasingly live. I spent over 15 years as a content developer and a senior film executive at studios such as MGM and Sony, and then earned a PhD in psychology from UCLA where I researched the impact of media on children. This unique background informs my perspective.
I work at the intersection of positive youth development, entertainment media and scientific research. The entertainment media that tweens and teens spend hours consuming shape their attitudes and behaviors, and as such can be an effective way to impact social learning. My hope is that the work I do addresses the critical matter of helping kids grow up healthy and safe in the 21st century. I strive not to give into the agenda of any “side” in the discussion, and instead speak to the facts while recognizing the perspective of all stakeholders (industry, parents, academics).
Currently, I work with the national non-profit Common Sense Media and am an assistant adjunct professor at UCLA; Along with my colleague, Dr Cara Natterson, I teach Disney Channel talent (actors on the show who are under 18 years of age) Life Skills; I consult on content for children; and finally I speak to a variety of audiences (White House, Pixar, Public School Districts and Independent schools, etc.).
Most importantly, I am the mom of two digital teens, a boy and a girl. I also volunteer for the non-profit Schools for Wheels and am a board member of the K-8 independent school, Westside Neighborhood School.
Feel free to email me with any questions and we will do our best to help!
Below is a list of the main arenas in which I work:
- I’m an expert in child development with an emphasis on research about media and technology:
- Author of Media Moms and Digital Dads and Contributing Columnist
- Speaker for companies, schools, parents and students
- Commentator on Research and Parenting
- Consultant on storytelling and research on how children learn best from media
- I work with Common Sense, the national non-profit, a leader in technology, media and kids.
- Assistant adjunct Professor at UCLA and Research Scientist with Children’s Digital Media Center@LA (UCLA).
- I’m an educator and curriculum developer for middle, high school and college students, including original lessons tailored for the Disney Channel talent (under 18 years of age) on Social and Emotional Learning.
- Educational consultant on media for children such as the Sprout series produced by Randy Zuckerberg and Henson Pictures, Dot
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.